Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Found Some Fiber One Cereal....

...and since I won't eat it as cereal, I decided to bake with it.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I have all my extra food in the corner of my living room.  My unopened box of Fiber One cereal was calling to me.  I know I bought it for something...I always have ingredient lists in my head of things I'd like to make.  I have made a lot of things with it...I use it for breading when I'm being "good" with my diet and I have made haystacks with it...also some very interesting muffins using a brownie mix, water and a bunch of the cereal.  I'm afraid to eat a bowl of it in the morning with some milk as intended, but I am not afraid to cook or bake with it.

I went to the Fiber One website and found their recipes.  I know I just got an email with a great looking coffee cake recipe using FO but did not see anything that resembled it on the site.  Instead, I went with this:

Double Chocolate Muffins

Anything double chocolate has to be good, right?  Even if it has a bunch of FO in it, right?  Yeah, you and I are both right...they are good.

These are easy enough to mix up.  I used my trusty Sacco Buttermilk Powder for the buttermilk.  Usually I just add the called for powder to the dry ingredients and add the called for water to the liquid ingredients.  For this, I did mix it up.  In a glass liquid measuring cup I measured the 1 1/3 cup of water and added 5.25 tbsps of the powder to it.  Once mixed up, I put my FO in it that I had already crushed in the food processor.  I set the cup aside and set the timer to 5 minutes and then went on to whisk all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.  After the 5 minutes was up, I put the vanilla, egg and the oil in the liquid measure and mixed it in with the very lovely looking buttermilk/FO mixture...it looked even better with the addition of the oil, egg and vanilla...thick, glossy and smooth...(insert sarcasm if you didn't get it...it was pretty gross looking).  I poured that in the dry ingredients, mixed it a few times, threw in the mini chips and finished it off as directed.





These cooked about 15 minutes or so and they were ready to come out.  They looked just like regular ol' chocolate cupcakes...rose up nice, crackly tops, soft to the touch...yum!




The recipe said these were to be served warm.  Well, you don't have to tell me twice to not wait for them to cool completely.  I pulled off the paper liner and it did stick a bit...probably because I did not wait for them to be warm, instead I chose to eat them while still slightly hot.  No problem though...that's why you see the fork below...used it to scrape all the yum that was left inside the liner.  Notice I did say "yum".  They were really good.  There is that something to them that indicates they are not a chocolate cup cake, as they look to be.  The FO is well mixed in and you cannot notice it at all but it must be between that and the whole wheat flour that you use that you notice a slight taste difference.  It's not bad at all, it just doesn't taste exactly what it looks like, a Betty Crocker, PIllsbury or Duncan Hines mix cupcake.




See...I cleaned my plate and paper liner.  I will make these again...perhaps another batch with what's left of my now opened box of Fiber One.  I am hoping the rest of my family will like these as well...while they aren't "better-for-you" in the sense that they are low fat/fat free, the Fiber One does add fiber (of course), 28 grams to the entire recipe to be exact, and it's fortified with vitamins and minerals so it adds a wee bit of nutrition to it as well so in a way, they are better for you than Betty or Duncan's finest.

I hope to post another recipe soon...I have it in my head that I want to try to make gnocchi or cavatelli pasta.  Don't aske me why because I cannot tell you...it's just there in my head.  While I was looking for a recipe for the cavatelli, I found a recipe for homemade cheese crackers, like Cheez-It's, and I am dying to try those now too.  They looked flaky and wonderul...so, who knows what will be next and when it will be...until then, happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. there's a recipe for "healthier" banana chocolate chip muffins on thepioneerwoman.com's tasty kitchen site where you could use more of your cereal. i made them this weekend and ate too many.

    ReplyDelete